Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1858 the entire landmass of India came under the direct control of the British Crown. To reflect the status and role of the Goverr-General as a representative of the monarch to the feudal rulers of the princely states, the term Viceroy was applied, and his consort was accordingly elevated to Vicereine. Penny Beaumont illustrates the lives of these remarkable women from the first, Charlotte Canning, through to the ultimate Vicereine, Edwina Mountbatten. Among the most alluring of all these Imperial Divas was the figure of Chicago-born Mary Leitner, wife and consort to the most dazzling of all the Viceroys, Lord Curzon. This is the biographical history of the invisible Empresses, told with charm and humour, illuminating the most powerful position accessible to women in the age of Empire.
- Author BiographyPENNY BEAUMONT retired from the Texas A&M University system in 2003 where she had served as the system's first female Vice-Chancellor. She currently serves as President of the Board of Directors for the Foundation for Women.
- Author(s)Penny Beaumont,Roger Beaumont
- PublisherHaus Publishing Limited
- Date of Publication31/10/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHaus Publishing Limited
- Out-of-print date14/03/2015
- Content Note50 illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width287 mm
- Height370 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.