All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGermany's 30-year colonial episode in Africa, the Pacific, and her enclave in China is a relatively unexplored aspect of the country's history. Under the young Kaiser Wilhelm II, rivalry with the old colonial powers saw the protectorates, originally established by trading companies, transformed into crown colonies garrisoned by the newly raised Schutztruppe, with support from the Imperial Navy's Seebataillone. This book explains the organization and the operations in these colonies, including an account of the Herero campaign in Southwest Africa. Illustrated with rare photos, and with color plates detailing the uniforms of German and native troops alike, this is an authoritive description of the garrisons manning the German colonies.
- Author BiographyAlejandro de Quesada is a Florida-based military history writer, an experienced researcher, and collector of militaria, photos, and documents. He runs an archive and historical consultancy for museums and films as a secondary business. Alejandro has written over 100 articles and over 25 books, including several for Osprey. Stephen Walsh studied Art at the North East Wales Institute and has worked as a professional illustrator since 1988. Since then he has illustrated a variety of books and games including the Settlers of Catan. His projects for Osprey include such diverse subjects as the battle of Otterburn, the Chinese army from 1937 to 1949 and the US Home Front in World War II. He is married with two children and lives in Macclesfield.
- Author(s)Alejandro De Quesada,Chris Dale
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/08/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleMen-at-Arms
- Series Part/Volume Number490
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note40 b/w; 8 col
- Weight167 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Illustrator(s)Stephen Walsh
Most relevant reviews
- 6003scott06 Oct, 2016by
Excellent source of information for anybody seeking an overview of early Germanies Colonial forces.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.