All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionImpure Cinema goes back to Bazin's original title precisely for its defence of impurity, applying it on the one hand to cinema's interbreeding with other arts and on the other to its ability to convey and promote cultural diversity. In contemporary progressive film criticism, ideas of purity, essence and origin have been superseded by favourable approaches to 'hybridization', 'transnationalism', 'multiculturalism' and cross-fertilizations of all sorts. Impure Cinema builds on this idea in vel and exciting ways, as it draws on cinema's combination of intermedial and intercultural aspects as a means to bridge the divide between studies of aesthetics and culture. Film is revealed here as the location par excellence of media encounters, mutual questioning and self-dissolution into post-medium experiments. Most importantly, the book argues, film's intermedial relations can only be properly understood if their cultural determinants are taken into account. Scholars and students of film, cinefiles and students of the arts will discover here unexpected connections across many artistic practices.
- Author BiographyLucia Nagib is Centenary Professor of World Cinemas at the University of Leeds. Her books include Brazil on Screen: Cinema Novo, New Cinema, Utopia (I.B.Tauris, 2007) and World Cinema and the Ethics of Realism (2011). Anne Jerslev is Professor of Film and Media Studies at the University of Copenhagen. She is the author of books about David Lynch, cult films, youth and violent cinema, and media and intimacy.
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleTauris World Cinema Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight658 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byAnne Jerslev,Lucia Nagib
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.