All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGretna football club's rapid rise was breathtaking. Bankrolled by millionaire Brooks Mileson, it looked like the only way was up. Elected to the Scottish Third Division in 2002, the club won three successive promotions, reached the Premier League, featured in the Scottish Cup Final and earned the right to play in the UEFA Cup. It all came crashing down when Mileson's funds dried up. Within months, creditors circled the dying club, which was dissolved in 2008. The fall was as spectacular as the rise. Yet that was t the end for football in this plucky border town. Gretna FC 2008 - a new, community-based club - rose like a phoenix from the ashes. Written by the first chairman of Gretna 2008, In Black and White traces the astonishing story of Gretna FC in the Mileson era and provides an insider's account of the rebirth of Gretna football.
- Author BiographyBorn and raised in Scotland, Anton Hodge has spent his working life in England, much of it on the border between the two countries. During that time he indulged his passion for local history, writing two books about the area and wasting many a weekend trudging around castles, battlefields and museums, before his eldest son persuaded him to start watching Gretna football club instead. Now living in North Yorkshire, Anton can be contacted through via www.antonhodge.co.uk and @antonhodge.
- Author(s)Anton Hodge
- PublisherChequered Flag Publishing
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChequered Flag Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.