All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Defence of Serendipity is a lively and buccaneering work of investigative philosophy, treating the origins of serendipity, accident and sagacity, both as riddles and philosophical concepts that can be put to a future political use. Taking in Aristotle, LSD, Tony Blair and tech-mysticism, Olma challenges the prevailing faith in the benevolenceof digital techlogy and the illegitimate equation of invation and entrepreneurship, arguing instead that we musttake responsibility for the care of society s digital infrastructure, and prevent its degeneration into an apparatus of marketing and finance. For although there is thing wrong with marketing and finance per se, if they alone lead techlogical development, free of any discretionary political interference, the freedom to be exploited will be as much a part of the future as our ability to intervene freely in our lives, will be a thing of the past.
- Author BiographySebastian Olma is professor for autonomy in art and design at Avans University for Applied Sciences in Breda and Den Bosch, The Netherlands. He lives in Amsterdam.
- Author(s)Seb Olma
- PublisherWatkins Media
- Date of Publication17/11/2016
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRepeater Books
- Weight367 g
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.