Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.45Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $30.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the best-selling author and Pulitzer Prize winner, a powerful nfiction debut an honest, engaging, and very moving account of a writer searching for herself in words. Kirkus Reviews (starred) In Other Words is a revelation. It is at heart a love story of a long and sometimes difficult courtship, and a passion that verges on obsession: that of a writer for ather language. For Jhumpa Lahiri, that love was for Italian, which first captivated and capsized her during a trip to Florence after college. Although Lahiri studied Italian for many years afterward, true mastery always eluded her. Seeking full immersion, she decides to move to Rome with her family, for a trial by fire, a sort of baptism into a new language and world. There, she begins to read, and to write initially in her journal solely in Italian. In Other Words, an autobiographical work written in Italian, investigates the process of learning to express oneself in ather language, and describes the journey of a writer seeking a new voice. Presented in a dual-language format, this is a wholly original book about exile, linguistic and otherwise, written with an intensity and clarity t seen since Vladimir Nabokov: a startling act of self-reflection and a provocative exploration of belonging and reinvention.
- Author BiographyJHUMPA LAHIRIis the author of four widely acclaimed works of fiction: Interpreter of Maladies, The Namesake, Unaccustomed Earth, and The Lowland. She has received numerous awards, including the Pulitzer Prize; the PEN/Hemingway Award; the Frank O Connor International Short Story Award; the Premio Gregor von Rezzori; the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature; a 2014 National Humanities Medal, awarded by President Barack Obama; and the Premio Internazionale Viareggio-Versilia, for this book. ANN GOLDSTEIN is an editor at The New Yorker. She has translated works by, among others, Elena Ferrante, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Primo Levi, Giacomo Leopardi, and Alessandro Baricco, and is the editor of The Complete Works of Primo Levi in English. She has been the recipient of the PEN Renato Poggioli Translation Award, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and awards from the Italian Foreign Ministry and from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Author(s)Jhumpa Lahiri
- PublisherKnopf Publishing Group
- Date of Publication09/02/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKnopf Publishing Group
- Weight567 g
- Translated byAnn Goldstein
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.