All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this age of global communication, local identities and nation-states reassert themselves when cultural boundaries are dissolved and reconstructed. This collection of essays by ted scholars in many fields provides a wide range of theoretical approaches and empirical studies that, together, shed light on how local cultural identities resist the forces of globalization by virtue of tradition, transculturation, domestication and hybridization. Examining how people make sense of the world and their own identities as cultural and national boundaries are crossed, In Search of Boundaries transcends many traditional dichotomies between East and West and, more importantly, between tradition and modernity. Interest in the study of boundaries has grown in sociology, anthropology, geography, and other social sciences, but it has t focused on communication processes. This book fills that void with a series of wide-ranging approaches, from the critical to the liberal, the empirical to the cultural, and the Occidental to the Oriental, and makes a significant contribution to our understanding of the increasingly global nature of nationality, culture, and identity.
- Author BiographyJOSEPH M. CHAN is a professor in the School of Journalism and Communication at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has published widely on the subjects of international communication, political international communication, and the development of communications in Greater China. BRYCE T. McINTYRE is an associate professor in the School of Journalism and Communication at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He is the author of several books on writing and reporting, including Advanced Newsgathering (Praeger, 1991).
- Date of Publication30/12/2001
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Series TitleAdvances in Communication & Culture S.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAblex Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight483 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byBryce T. McIntyre,Joseph Man Chan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.