All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this topical text Paulin Kola challenges the accepted tion that there is widespread support for a Greater Albania among the Albanian-speaking peoples of the Balkans, and argues that Albanians do t wish to join a single, politically-recognized entity. He explains how the Albanians are marked by ideological, religious and other divisions, many of which were exacerbated by their differing reactions to nationalism, as experienced in Tito's Yugoslavia and Hoxha's Albania. When Kosovars (Albanians from Kosovo) came to Albania after the fall of communism, they were surprised to find an impoverished motherland uninterested in anything but survival, whereas Albania's citizens were dumbstruck by the relatively opulent lifestyles of the Kosovars and could t understand what more they could want. The violence that followed the dissolution of Yugoslavia brought the two groups closer together, but t eugh to prompt Albanian citizens to fight alongside the Kosovars in the 1998-9 war, or the Macedonian Albanians in 2000-1. Moreover, Albania itself imploded at a crucial moment. While a Greater Kosovo - incorporating the border regions of Macedonia - remains a remote possibility, there is little change of the Albanians of Albania or of the American and Swiss diasporas supporting moves to dissolve the present international borders in dispute of an Albanian homeland . Albanians appear content to retain their discrete political entities, while travelling and trading freely.
- Author BiographyPaulin Kola was one of the founders, in 1990, of Albania's first opposition party, then served as an Albanian diplomat. He has a Ph.D. from the London School of Economics and is now with the BBC World Service.
- Author(s)Paulin Kola
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication22/07/2003
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Content Notemaps (some col.)
- Weight643 g
- Height225 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.