All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1961, twenty-five-year-old Herbert Stern, fresh from reserve duty, stood in his green army uniform in a New York County courtroom to be sworn in as an attorney. He could only guess what his life as a prosecuting lawyer would be. A dozen years later, in the wake of the national scandal of Watergate, Stern, draped in black robes w, would take the oath of office as a federal judge. In the years between, the idealistic young Stern would sharpen his skills in the realities of the criminal courts of New York City, to emerge as the lead trial attorney for the Justice Department, charged with breaking the back of organized crime in New Jersey. Stern's highly charged account of his outright war against powerful state government officials and the mafia takes us deep inside the mechanisms of law and order during a time when assassinations came fast and loose, cities were burning in race riots, and racketeering and graft were so prevalent in the Garden State that its own senator called it a stench in the strils and an offense to the vision of the world . Before Stern and his equally dedicated colleagues on the strike force out of Washington, D.C., were finished, they had successfully prosecuted the mayors of Jersey City, Newark, and Atlantic City for being on the take; taken down a congressman for conspiracy, tax violations, and perjury; and blackened the eye of organized crime.
- Author BiographyHERBERT J. STERN is considered one of the most famous district attorneys in the history of the United States. He helped catch the killers of Malcolm X, indicted the head of the French CIA for shipping 100 pounds of heroin into the United States, prosecuted the real-life Tony Soprano, and convicted the mayors of Newark, Jersey City, and Atlantic City. He currently lives in New Vernon, New Jersey.
- Author(s)Herbert Jay Stern
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication11/10/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.