All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionWho was the real Richard Nixon and why did he behave the way he did? In this invative work, a distinguished historian, trained in psychoanalysis, unravels the riddle of Nixon's singularly opaque political personality. Neither a political biography r a clinical psychoanalysis, at the time of its initial publication, In Search of Nixon launched a new genre of scholarship-the psycho-historical inquiry. Bruce Mazlish offers insight into the subtle interplay between Nixon the man and Nixon the public figure. Why, for example, did Nixon have such personal difficulties in making decisions? Kwing how the young Nixon learned to cope with the problems of his childhood, what can we infer about his unpredictable decisions on Communist China, inflation, and the Supreme Court? Mazlish applies psychoanalysis to history in order to understand Nixon's behaviour, decisions, and political stance. He explains why Nixon characteristically projected personal crises onto the political arena-as in the famous Checkers speech, or in the Haynsworth-Carswell affair. And he examines why, conversely, political questions such as pacifism, abortion, and subversion had a peculiarly personal meaning for him. Renewed interest in Nixon, coupled with publication of a number of major books on this enigmatic figure, makes publication of this new paperback edition especially timely.
- Author BiographyBruce Mazlish is professor emeritus of history at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and fellow of The American Academy of Arts and Sciences, USA. He is the author of The Leader, The Led, and the Psyche; The Riddle of History; and Reflections on the Modern and the Global. Howard G. Schneiderman is professor of anthropology and sociology at Lafayette College, USA.
- Author(s)Bruce Mazlish
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/01/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byHoward G. Schneiderman
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.