All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionIn Search of a Better Life challenges the traditional histories of British and Irish migration, the stories of oppression and exile that form an essential part of the existing literature. By means were all migrants forced to leave their country by circumstances; many looked forward to a better life abroad. They were largely opportunists rather than victims, whether financed by the state or by landlords or philanthropists, or, as was the case for the majority, by themselves or their families. This was a huge movement of people that formed part of a European exodus to the New World. In placing British and Irish migration alongside each other, there is recognition of the commonalities among both sets of emigrants that will surprise many readers. The poor condition of labourers in 1840s Dorset and Wiltshire were akin to those found in County Cork during the Famine years. British and Irish emigrants were commonly found on the same ships en route to the Americas and Australasia, both settling in predominantly English-speaking countries. With case studies by a variety of contributors, set within the broader context of current scholarship, this compilation features new research on a popular subject which still resonates today. It will prove particularly useful for family historians.
- Author BiographyGraham Davis is emeritus professor of history at Bath SpaUniversity and an expert on Irish History. He is author of books on The Irish in Britain 1815-1914, the award-winning Land!: Irish Pioneers in Mexican and Revolutionary Texas, as well as numerous articles published in Britain, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Holland, and the United States.
- Author(s)Graham Davis
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2011
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.