All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Their Siblings' Voices shares the stories of twenty white n-adopted siblings who grew up with black or biracial brothers and sisters in the late 1960s and 1970s. Belonging to the same families profiled in Rita J. Simon and Rhonda M. Roorda's In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories and In Their Parents' Voices: Reflections on Raising Transracial Adoptees, these siblings offer their perspectives on the multiracial adoption experience, which, for them, played out against the backdrop of two tumultuous, politically charged decades. Simon and Roorda question whether professionals and adoption agencies adequately trained these children in the challenges presented by blended families, and they ask if, after more than thirty years, race still matters. Few books cover both the academic and the human dimensions of this issue. In Their Siblings' Voices helps readers fully grasp the dynamic of living in a multiracial household and its effect on friends, school, and community.
- Author BiographyRita J. Simon is a University Professor in the School of Public Affairs and the Washington College of Law at American University in Washington, D.C. She has published forty-three books, edited nineteen, and is currently the editor of Gender Issues. Rhonda M. Roorda was adopted into a white family and raised in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. The author of a chapter in the Handbook of Adoption: Implications for Researchers, Practitioners, and Families, she currently works at an educational advocacy organization in Lansing, Michigan.
- Author(s)Rhonda M. Gendzier,Rita J. Simon
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication27/04/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note0 halftones, 0 color illus., 0 line drawings, 5 tables
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.