All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDr. Isaac Namdar is a successful doctor in private practice in a major metropolitan area. He recently married his long-term same-sex partner in a very intimate ceremony. They later had a dinner party to celebrate their union with family and friends. Dr. Namdar comes from a Sephardic background, and is part of a tightly-knit community of first generation immigrants. Since the general position of his community on homosexuality mirrors the Biblical prohibition, Dr. Namdar chose to keep his sexuality and his wedding private from his ancestral community. Two months after the wedding party, a fellow community member found their wedding photos online and proceeded to forward the link to everyone else. Within a day, a thousand new hits were registered to the website, and the news of the first same-sex wedding of a community member spread like wildfire. While the leaders and the Rabbis of the community took steps to excommunicate Dr. Namdar solely on the basis of his sexuality, a great debate ensued on the rights of homosexuals within the community and the society at large. In this book, Dr. Namdar provides us with just eugh insight into the customs of his community for the reader to appreciate the implications of his story. He then chronicled his experiences through a series of communications in the form of emails, phone call, and Discussion Board entries to give the reader a first hand account of the extreme events surrounding his outing. Many people believe that gay rights are the most important outstanding civil rights issue of our generation. Through this book, the author attempts to highlight the range of attitudes that exist in contemporary society regarding this issue. What makes this book unique is that the arguments are t written by a single protagonist with his own biases. Rather, the range of opinions are expressed by many different people in their own original language.
- Author BiographyDr. Namdar is a well-respected Ear, Nose & Throat surgeon. He has several publications in his fields of expertise. This is Dr. Namdar's first non-medical publication. As the events in this book put the author in a position to become a role model for so many other people with the same inner struggles, Dr. Namdar felt it necessary to share his story and inspire others to live life true to themselves.
- Author(s)Isaac Namdar MD
- Date of Publication04/03/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.