In Your Face: The New Science of Human Attraction by David Perrett (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.82Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPitched at the general reader, this book will seek both to introduce the field of facial perception and to challenge and provoke the thinking reader. After a brief introduction to evolutionary ideas and a comparative overview of the importance of faces for social and sexual interactions in animals the book will focus on the issues of human development, personality, health/lifestyle and mate choice in turn, highlighting the latest cutting-edge research, and encouraging people to look at themselves and others in an entirely new light. The final chapter will pull together the various strands of research covered in the book and investigate how this relates to the patterns and behaviours we see in modern society today, like the rise of cosmetic surgery and anti-aging interventions, the 'halo' effect that good looks can bring in terms of job prospects and promotions, and how one can potentially compensate for any apparent deficiencies in physical appearance. What makes a face attractive? Why are we attracted to certain faces and t others? In this highly readable account from the frontiers of psychology, the author explains how the human face evolved and how our perceptions of the face affect our judgments of others' personality, health, trustworthiness, and suitability as a friend or lover. In our daily lives, in our memories and fantasies, our mental worlds overflow with faces. But what do we really kw about this most remarkable feature of the human body? Why do we have faces at all, and brains that are good at reading them? What do our looks say - and t say - about our personalities? And perhaps the most compelling question of all: Why are we attracted to some faces more than others? 'In Your Face' is an engaging and authoritative tour of the science of facial beauty and face perception. David Perrett, the pre-eminent scholar in the field, reveals and interprets the most remarkable findings and in the process demolishes many popular myths, setting the record straight on what neuroscience and evolutionary psychology are teaching us about beauty. The record is more surprising and often more unsettling than you might think.
- Author BiographyDavid Perrett is an internationally recognized leader in the field of face perception and the study of human attractiveness. His work has appeared in the most prestigious scientific journals and is often featured in the popular press around the world. As a professor and head of the Perception Lab at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, he has trained many of the most promising young researchers in the field. Perrett received the Golden Brain award for his discoveries about the way the brain processes faces and pioneered the use of computer graphics to study the perception of facial attributes such as beauty, health, and personality.
- Author(s)David Perrett
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication28/05/2012
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Series TitleMacmillan Science
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2010
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Noteill
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.