All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEXCELLENT . . . I recommend [Klitzman's] book as a valuable account of one particular kind of training that goes into becoming a psychiatrist .
--The Washington Post
Fresh from medical school, Robert Klitzman began his residency in psychiatry with excitement and a sense of mission. But he was t prepared for what he found inside the city psychiatric center where he was to spend three grueling years.
In truth, as Dr. Klitzman's absorbing account of his apprenticeship reveals, he never ceased to be surprised--by his patients, by the senior psychiatrists' conflicting advice on how to help them, and by the unpredictable results of the therapies, both psychoanalytic and biologic, that he and his fellow residents practiced.
Nights in the emergency room, professional controversy, the minefield of hospital politics, the stress of his own therapy--everything is here, in a passionate and illuminating analysis of a doctor's struggle against tremendous odds to banish his patients' demons.
[AN] INSIGHTFUL MEMOIR . . . RECOMMENDED .
A thorough diagsis of contemporary psychiatry's intellectual lacunae, as well as its personal and institutional warts .
- Author(s)Robert Klitzman
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.