All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
About this product
- DescriptionAdam O'Riordan's remarkable first collection traces the hidden paths from past to present, from the lost to the living, seeking familiarity in a world of 'false trails and disappearing acts'. Here relatives, friends and other absences are coaxed into life and urgently pressed on the reader as they surface, in the flesh. Journeys begin with indelible detail and open into new and astonishing landscapes of the head and the heart. Whether in graceful elegies for the dead or the charged lyrics of love and desire, poems cross space as well as time, from the 'blackened lung' of Victorian Manchester and the fateful events of the 1913 Derby, to enter a modern era of satellites and late night searches for lost lovers. At the heart of the collection lies the sonnet sequence Home , a slant look at the lives of William and Dorothy Wordsworth, intersected by more recent, sometimes unsettling, personal portraits. Clear-eyed and sensuous, these are poems linked by a strong sense of place and presence, longing and loss; of history captured in an irrevocable moment. In the Flesh is a startling debut from one of our finest young British poets.
- Author BiographyAdam O'Riordan was born in Manchester in 1982, and educated at Oxford and London University, where he was awarded the inaugural Peters, Fraser and Dunlop poetry prize. In 2008 he was awarded an Eric Gregory Award and was Poet-in-Residence at the Wordsworth Trust in Grasmere. He lives in London. In the Flesh includes the sequence, 'Home', a series of thematically linked sonnets inspired by Dove Cottage, and selected by the Poetry Book Society as its pamphlet choice in 2009.
- PrizesJoint winner for Somerset Maugham Award 2011.
- Author(s)Adam O'Riordan
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication01/07/2010
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChatto & Windus
- Weight81 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.