All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSouth African Poetry 1996-2013 presents work by 32 poets and includes some translations from Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, Sesotho and Xitsonga. This collection follows on from Denis Hirson's 1997 anthology The Lava of this Land: South African Poetry 1960-1996 . South African poetry today is charged with restlessness, bursting with diversity. Gone is the intense inward focus required to deal with a situation of systematic oppression, the enclosing effort of concentration on a single predicament. While politics and identity continue to be central themes, the poetry since the late 1990s reveals a richer investigation of ancestors and history, alongside more experimentation with language and translation; and enduring concern with the touchstones of love, loss, memory, and acts of witnessing. Poets include: Jim Pascual Agustin ~ Gabeba Baderoon ~ Robert Berold ~ Vonani Bila ~ Jeremy Cronin ~ Ingrid de Kok ~ Isobel Dixon ~ Finuala Dowling ~ Khadija Tracey Heeger ~ Denis Hirson ~ Ronelda Kamfer ~ Keorapetse Kgositsile ~ Katharine Kilalea ~ Rustum Kozain ~ Antjie Krog ~ David wa Maahlamela ~ Bongekile Joyce Mbanjwa ~ Joan Metelerkamp ~ Kobus Moolman ~ Isabella Motadinyane ~ Petra Muller ~ Gert Vlok Nel ~ Mxolisi Nyezwa ~ Karen Press ~ Mongane Wally Serote ~ Ari Sitas ~ Kelwyn Sole ~ Rosamund Stanford ~ Toni Stuart ~ Nathan Trantraal ~ Marlene van Niekerk ~ Bulelani Zantsi.
- Author BiographyDenis Hirson was editor of a previous anthology of poetry: The Lava of this Land, South African Poetry 1960-1996 (Northwestern University Press and David Philip, 1997), was co-editor [with Martin Trump] of The Heinemann Book of South African Short Stories (Heinemann, 1994), and the author of an historical survey of South African literature, Worlds in One Country (Jacana 2011). He has also edited two anthologies of South African poetry in French translation, and has done much to promote South African literature in Europe. Denis Hirson is the author of four books of memory: The House Next Door to Africa, I Remember King Kong (the Boxer), We Walk Straight So You Better Get Out the Way, White Scars , a poetry collection, Gardening in the Dark , and a novel, The Dancing and the Death in Lemon Street .
- PublisherDeep South
- Date of Publication14/05/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationScottsville
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintDeep South
- Weight480 g
- Width140 mm
- Height205 mm
- Edited byDenis Hirson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.