All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book analyzes why and how fifteen Latin American countries modified their political institutions to promote the inclusion of women, Afrodescendants, and indigeus peoples. Through analysis and comparison of experiences in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Mexico, the book accounts for the origins of quotas and reserved seats in international rms and civic mobilization. It shows how the configuration of political institutions and the structure of excluded groups set the terms and processes of inclusion. Arguing that the new mechanisms have delivered inclusion but t representation, the book demonstrates that quotas and reserved seats increased the presence in power of excluded groups but did t create constituencies or generate civic movements able to authorize or hold accountable their representatives.
- Author BiographyMala Htun is Professor of Political Science at the University of New Mexico. She is the author of Sex and the State: Abortion, Divorce, and the Family under Latin American Dictatorships and Democracies (2003). Her work has appeared in American Political Science Review, Perspectives on Politics, Politics, Groups, and Identities, Latin American Research Review, Latin American Politics and Society, and Politics and Gender, among other journals and edited volumes. In 2015, Htun was selected as an Andrew Carnegie Fellow. She has held the Council on Foreign Relations International Affairs Fellowship in Japan and was a fellow at the Kellogg Institute of the University of Notre Dame, Indiana and the Radcliffe Institute of Harvard University, Massachusetts. Her work has been supported by grants and fellowships from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, Social Science Research Council, and National Security Education Program.
- Author(s)Mala Htun
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/01/2016
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Gender and Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note10 b/w illus.
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.