All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat do we mean by the Revolution? John Adams asked Thomas Jefferson in 1815. The war? That was part of the Revolution. It was only an effect and consequence of it. As the distinguished historian Thomas P. Slaughter shows in this landmark history, the roots of the Revolution went back even further than Adams may have realized. In Slaughter's account, colonists in British North America starting in the early seventeenth century chafed under imperial rule. Though successive British kings called them lawless, they insisted on their moral courage and political principles, and regarded their independence as a great virtue. Their struggles to define this independence took many forms: from New England and Nova Scotia to New York and Pennsylvania and south to the Carolinas, colonists resisted unsympathetic royal goverrs, smuggled to evade British duties, and organized for armed uprisings. In the eighteenth century-especially after victories over France-the British were eager to crush these rebellions, but American opposition only intensified. In Independence, Slaughter resets and clarifies the terms of this remarkable development, showing how and why a critical mass of colonists determined that they could t be both independent and subject to the British Crown. By 1775-76, they had become revolutionaries-willing to go to war to defend their independence, t simply to gain it.
- Author BiographyThomas P. Slaughter is the author of The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition (Hill and Wang, 2008) and four other books. He is the Arthur R. Miller Professor at the University of Rochester and the editor of Reviews in American History.
- Author(s)Thomas P. Slaughter
- PublisherHill & Wang Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/07/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHill & Wang Inc.,U.S.
- Out-of-print date29/08/2015
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight753 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.