All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is book currently available that gives a comprehensive treatment of the design, construction, and use of index numbers. However, there is a pressing need for one in view of the increasing and more sophisticated employment of index numbers in the whole range of applied ecomics and specifically in discussions of macroecomic policy. In this book, R. G. D. Allen meets this need in simple and consistent terms and with comprehensive coverage.The text begins with an elementary survey of the index-number problem before turning to more detailed treatments of the theory and practice of index numbers. The binary case in which one time period is compared with ather is first developed and illustrated with numerous examples. This is to prepare the ground for the central part of the text on runs of index numbers. Particular attention is paid both to fixed-weighted and to chain forms as used in a wide range of published index numbers taken mainly from British official sources.This work deals with some further problems in the construction of index numbers, problems which are both troublesome and largely unresolved. These include the use of sampling techniques in index-number design and the theoretical and practical treatment of quality changes. It is also devoted to a number of detailed and specific applications of index-number techniques to problems ranging from national-income accounting, through the measurement of inequality of incomes and international comparisons of real incomes, to the use of index numbers of stock-market prices. Aimed primarily at students of ecomics, whatever their age and range of interests, this work will also be of use to those who handle index numbers professionally.
- Author BiographyR. G. D. Allen (1906-1983) was Professor Emeritus at the University of London. He was also once president of the Royal Statistical Society and Treasurer of the British Academy where he was a fellow. He is the author of Basic Mathematics, Mathematical Analysis for Economists, Mathematical Economics and Macroeconomic Theory.
- Author(s)R. G. D. Allen
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/08/2008
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight432 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.