All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionReversing his parents' immigrant path, a young writer returns to India and discovers an old country making itself new. Anand Giridharadas sensed something was afoot as his plane prepared to land in Bombay. An elderly passenger looked at him and said, We're all trying to go that way, pointing to the rear. You, you're going this way? Giridharadas was returning to the land of his ancestors, amid an unlikely ecomic boom. But he was interested less in its gold rush than in its cultural upheaval, as a new generation has sought to reconcile old traditions with new ambitions. In India Calling , Giridharadas brings to life the people and the dilemmas of India today, as seen through the prism of his emigre family history and his childhood memories. He blends the objectivity of the outsider with the intimacy of the insider. The result is India seen at once from within and without. Giridharadas introduces us to entrepreneurs, radicals, industrialists and religious seekers, but, most of all, to Indian families. Through their stories, and his own, he paints an intimate portrait of a country becoming modern while striving to remain itself.
- Author BiographyAuthors Bio, not available
- Author(s)Anand Giridharadas
- PublisherBlack Inc.
- Date of Publication31/01/2011
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintBlack Inc.
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.