All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $28.84Was:AU $34.99Free postage
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $67.34Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $46.99
About this product
- DescriptionIn March 1947 Lord Louis Mountbatten became the last Viceroy of India, with the mandate to hand over the jewel in the crown of the British Empire within one year. Mountbatten worked with Nehru, Gandhi and the leader of the Muslim League, Jinnah, to devise a plan for partitioning the empire into two independent sovereign states, India and Pakistan, on August 15, 1947 and he remained as interim Goverr-General of India until June 1948. During this time Lord Mountbatten's daughter and India's mother, Pamela, was with her parents and kept a diary recounting this extraordinary tale of history. The diaries include their trips to stay in Calcutta, Bombay, Madras, Orissa and Assam, and the exotic palaces of Indian rulers. 'India Remembered' is a scrapbook of private family photographs taken during this historical period (Edwina Mountbatten walking arm in arm with Nehru through a courtyard, or Gandhi taking tea for the first time at Viceroys House). Includes many anecdotes from Pamela Mountbatten's diaries such as reminiscences of having to leave 10 minutes before dinner was actually anunced as the walk from the bedroom to the dining hall was so far (if running really late, riding a bicycle through the corridors to make time). Includes photographs evoking the atmosphere of the Mountbatten's favourite retreat, that of Viceregal Lodge in Simla.
- Author BiographyPamela Mountbatten is the daughter of Earl Mountbatten of Burma, most famously known for his role as the last Viceroy of India. She married the designer, the late David Hicks, and lives in Oxfordshire in the house they shared together. India Hicks is the granddaughter of Earl Mountbatten. She is the author of Island Life and Island Beauty. She lives in the Bahamas with her partner and three children.
- Author(s)India Hicks,Pamela Mountbatten
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication16/06/2008
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPavilion Books
- Content Note150 black and white photographs
- Weight859 g
- Width184 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.