All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book considers the remarkable transformations that have taken place in India since 1980, a period that began with the assassination of the formidable Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. Her death, and that of her son Rajiv seven years later, marked the end of the Nehru-Gandhi era. Although the country remains one of the few democracies in the developing world, many of the policies instigated by these earlier regimes have been swept away to make room for dramatic alterations in the political, ecomic and social landscape. Sumit Ganguly and Rahul Mukherji, two leading political scientists of South Asia, chart these developments with particular reference to social and political mobilization, the rise of the BJP and its challenge to Nehruvian secularism and the changes to foreign policy that, in combination with its meteoric ecomic development, have ensured India a significant place on the world stage.
- Author BiographySumit Ganguly is a Professor of Political Science and the Rabindranath Tagore Chair in Indian Cultures and Civilizations at Indiana University, Bloomington. He is the author of numerous books including India's Foreign Policy: Retrospect and Prospect (2010); Nuclear Proliferation in South Asia, with S. Paul Kapur (2008); and The Routledge Handbook of Asian Security Studies (2010), co-edited with Andrew Scobell and Joseph Liow. Rahul Mukherji is Associate Professor of South Asian Studies at the National University of Singapore. He is the editor of India's Economic Transition: The Politics of Reforms (2007) and India: The Political Economy of Reforms (2004), co-edited with Bibek Debroy.
- Author(s)Rahul Mukherji,Sumit Ganguly
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/08/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleThe World Since 1980
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight400 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.