All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConventional interpretations of the New Ecomic Policy introduced in India in 1991 see this program of ecomic liberalization as transforming the Indian ecomy and leading to a substantial increase in the rate of India's ecomic growth. But in a country like India, growth is t eugh. Who benefits from the new growth regime, and can it significantly improve the conditions of livelihood for India's 800 million people with incomes below $2.00 a day? This edited volume looks at international policy regimes and their national adoption under strategic conditions of ecomic crisis and coercion, and within longer-term structural changes in the power calculus of global capitalism. The contributors examine long-term growth tendencies, poverty and employment rates at the national level, regional level and local levels in India; the main growth centers; the areas and people left out; the advantages and deficiencies of the existing policy regime, and alternative ecomic policies for India. Bringing together the leading figures in the discussion on India's ecomic policy, this volume is the authoritative critical study of India's New Ecomic Policy.
- Author BiographyWaquar Ahmed is a visiting assistant professor at the Department of Geography, Mount Holyoke College. Amitabh Kundu is Professor of Economics at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. Richard Peet is Professor of Geography at the Graduate School of Geography, Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts, US.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/09/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 35 black & white tables, 9 black & white halftones, 11 black & white line drawings
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAmitabh Kundu,Richard Peet,Waquar Ahmed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.