All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe vels published by Isabelle de Charriere before the French Revolution offer a perceptive account of the psychology and the social climate of the late eighteenth century. The anti-Freudian psychoanalysis of the neurologist and psychiatrist Heinz Kohut (1913-81) is used in this study as a means of developing an awareness of the position of the fictional characters. Feminist and Freudian readings of Charriere s vels of the 1780s have stressed the closed deterministic atmosphere of contemporary society; this new study emphasises what can be called the modern side of the vels: patriarchal society and individual needs confront each other and allow the relationships to be seen in a new light. By means of Kohut s tion of selfobject a rich insight is gained into the complex relationships described by Isabelle de Charriere.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Jelka Samsom received an M.A. and a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education at the University of Leyden, the Netherlands, and completed a Ph.D. at the University of Birmingham. She is now working on a study which investigates the links and divergences between late eighteenth-century thought and Romanticism by comparing Isabelle de Charriere s Caliste, Benjamin Constant s Adolphe and Mme de Stael s Corinne. She teaches French at the University of Birmingham.
- Author(s)Jelka Samsom
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/03/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight330 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byJames Kearns,Malcolm Cook
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.