All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book describes Africa's position within the current industrial global setting and analyses the recent performance of African manufacturing relative to that of other developing regions. It stresses the rapidly changing techlogical challenges faced by African ecomies and Africa's poor response to the threats posed by other developing regions such as East Asia. This analysis is based on the examination of a set of drivers of competitiveness related to techlogy, skills and foreign direct investment. With some exceptions for the two outliers (South Africa and Mauritius), African scores in all these indicators are far behind the international dynamics. The observation of these drivers suggests that the basic problem of African industry lies t in the investment climate (which can certainly be improved) or in gaining market access to rich countries but in the low level of its industrial capabilities. It concludes with a set of policy options, enhancing the role of the international community and the need to improve the effectiveness of African 'national learning systems'. This book points out the urgency of reconsidering current African industrial strategy and evolving a new strategy focused on building capabilities.
- Author BiographyThe late Sanjaya Lall was Professor of Development Economics at the University of Oxford and a Fellow of Green College. He consulted for many international organizations, advised many governments, and worked with the Ford Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation on issues of competitiveness, innovation and industrialization. He published 40 books and monographs, and more than 200 articles in academic journals and books. Erika Kraemer-Mbula is a PhD. Student in the Department of International Development, University of Oxford.
- Author(s)Erika Kraemer-Mbula,Sanjaya Lall
- PublisherITDG Publishing
- Date of Publication20/05/1999
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintITDG Publishing
- Content Notetables
- Weight288 g
- Width216 mm
- Height138 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.