All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner, American Sociological Association Section on Environment and Techlogy Allan Schnaiberg Outstanding Publication Award The world currently faces several severe social and environmental crises, including ecomic under-development, widespread poverty and hunger, lack of safe drinking water for one-sixth of the world's population, deforestation, rapidly increasing levels of pollution and waste, dramatic declines in soil fertility and biodiversity, and global warming. Inequality, Democracy, and the Environment sheds light on the structural causes of these and other social and environmental crises, highlighting in particular the key role that elite-controlled organizations, institutions, and networks play in creating these crises. Liam Downey focuses on four topics-globalization, agriculture, mining, and U.S. energy and military policy-to show how organizational and institutional inequality and elite-controlled organizational networks produce environmental degradation and social harm. He focuses on key institutions like the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the U.S. Military and the World Trade Organization to show how specific policies are conceived and enacted in order to further elite goals. Ultimately, Downey lays out a path for environmental social scientists and environmentalists to better understand and help solve the world's myriad social and environmental crises. Inequality, Democracy and the Environment presents a passionate expose of the true role inequality, undemocratic institutions and organizational power play in harming people and the environment.
- Author BiographyLiam Downey is Associate Professor of Sociology and Faculty Associate for Environmental Studies at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Author(s)Liam Downey
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication18/12/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.