All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionUnlike every kwn translator before him, Michael Palma re-creates Dante's masterpiece in all its dimensions, without emphasizing some aspects over others, rendering Infer into contemporary American English while maintaining Dante's original triple rhyme scheme. The result is a translation that can be appreciated for its literal faithfulness and beautiful poetic form, accompanied by facing-page Italian and explanatory tes. A superb translation; highly recommended. -Library Journal I find Michael Palma's Infer to be one that I'm having a hard time improving. -Lawrence Ferlinghetti I think highly of Michael Palma's Infer...Readers will find it admirably clear and readable. -Richard Wilbur
- Author BiographyDante Alighieri was born in 1265 in Florence to a family of minor nobility. He entered into Florentine politics in 1295, but he and his party were forced into exile in a hostile political climate in 1301. Taking asylum in Ravenna late in life, Dante completed his Divine Commedia, considered one of the most important works of Western literature, before his death in 1321. Michael Palma is the recipient of the Italo Calvino Award for his translation of My Name on the Wind: Selected Poems of Diego Valeri and of the Raiziss/de Palchi Translation Award from the American Academy of American Poets for his translation of The Man I Pretend to Be: The Colloquies and Selected Poems of Guido Gozzano. A poet in his own right, Palma has published three collections of verse, and his poetry has been anthologized in, among other publications, Penguin's Unsettling America: An Anthology of Contemporary Multicultural Poetry.
- Author(s)Dante Alighieri
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication01/04/2003
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight470 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Translated byMichael Palma
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.