Infested: How the Bed Bug Infiltrated Our Bedrooms and Took Over the World by Brooke Borel (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.64Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $34.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBed bugs. Few words strike such fear in the minds of travelers. In cities around the world, lurking beneath the lofty blankets of otherwise pristine-looking hotel beds are tiny bloodthirsty beasts just waiting for weary wanderers to surrender to a vulnerable slumber. Though bed bugs today have infested the globe, the common bed bug is t a new pest at all. Indeed, as Brooke Borel reveals in this unusual history, this most-reviled species may date back over 250,000 years, wreaking havoc on our collective psyche while even inspiring art, literature, and music - in addition to vexatious red welts. In Infested, Borel introduces readers to the biological and cultural histories of these amazingly adaptive insects, and the myriad ways in which humans have responded to them. She travels to meet with scientists who are rearing bed bug colonies - even by feeding them with their own blood (ouch!) - and to the stages of musicals performed in hor of the pests. She explores the history of bed bugs and their apparent disappearance in the 1950s after the introduction of DDT, charting how current infestations have flourished in direct response to human chemical use as well as the ease of global travel. She also introduces us to the ecomics of bed bug infestations, from hotels to homes to office buildings, and the expansive industry that has arisen to combat them. Hiding during the day in the oks and seams of mattresses, box springs, bed frames, headboards, dresser tables, wallpaper, or any other clutter around a bed, bed bugs are thriving and eager for their next victim. By providing fascinating details on bed bug science and behavior as well as a captivating look into the lives of those devoted to researching or eradicating them, Infested is sure to inspire at least a nibble of respect for these tenacious creatures - while also ensuring that you will peek beneath the sheets with prickly apprehension.
- Author BiographyBrooke Borel is a science writer and journalist. She is a contributing editor to Popular Science, where she also authors the blog Our Modern Plagues.
- Author(s)Brooke Borel
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication21/04/2015
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note43 halftones, 6 line drawings
- Weight508 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.