All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a superbly illustrated introduction to the finest collection of Scrimshaw in the world. By the middle of the 19th century, the New England port of New Bedford was one of the richest cities in America. Its wealth was derived from a single source - whale oil. The New Bedford whaling fleet was the most numerous and arranging in the world, setting off on voyages that often lasted for years and extended as far as the Antarctic and Siberia. When the whalemen were t engaged in hunting or maintenance, some of their time was spent carving materials harvested from the whales themselves: the teeth, bones and baleen. The resulting practical and decorative objects, often intricately carved and carefully crafted, would provide mementos and treasured souvenirs for loved ones back home, at voyage end. This comprehensive volume, featuring over 700 detailed photos, introduces readers to the world's finest collection of Scrimshaw - held by the New Bedford Whaling Museum.
- Author BiographyStuart M. Frank is Senior Curator at the New Bedford Whaling Museum.
- Author(s)Stuart Frank
- PublisherDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Date of Publication14/02/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Content Note700 full-colour photographs
- Weight1996 g
- Width229 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.