Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation for Active Older Adults by Human Kinetics Publishers (Hardback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $103.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $175.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith the rise in active participation in sports and exercise by older people, Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation for Active Older Adults is both timely and instructive. It explores the issues involved in working with active older adults, providing a valuable resource to help sports medicine professionals prevent, diagse, and treat injuries for this growing population.Geared toward those working with active seniors--from competitive and recreational athletes to fitness enthusiasts--Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation for Active Older Adults contains the information to help practitioners -strengthen their understanding of general issues in sports medicine for active seniors;-explore prevention of, and determine treatment for, specific injuries;-apply to their own practice the kwledge of specialists experienced in working with older populations; and-implement and supervise appropriate conservative therapies.Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation for Active Older Adults was written by a team of specialists with extensive experience in treating active seniors. While it emphasizes conservative treatment over surgery, it also guides readers in kwing when to refer a client to a surgeon, how to prepare a client for what might happen when referred, and what type of surgery might be indicated. Therapists and trainers will strengthen their ability to explain their basis for both treatment and referral. Part I focuses on a variety of issues in sports medicine for active seniors, including senescent changes in the musculoskeletal system, exercise testing and prescription, and factoring the kinetic chain into prevention and therapy. Flexibility, stretching, and massage for older people are also covered, as are nutrition, nutritional supplements, and pharmacology.Part II, organized by anatomical areas, delves into specific injuries and conditions in active seniors. This approach helps readers easily locate regional musculoskeletal problems and identify appropriate rehabilitation procedures. These regions include the shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist, spine, hip, knee, and foot and ankle. Common injuries, conditions, and treatments are explored in each area.Accompanying photos and illustrations supplement the text, showing stretches for all parts of the body, exercises for both injury prevention and rehabilitation, diagstic techniques (including special tests and best X-ray positions) and various treatment options. The result is a reference that facilitates understanding of the issues involved in preventing and treating injuries in active older people and in helping them recover and return to full activity as soon as possible.
- Author BiographyKevin Speer, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon from Raleigh, North Carolina. As a former team doctor for Duke University and through his own practice, Speer has extensive experience treating both athletes and older patients. Speer was head team physician for all Duke University athletic teams, assistant team physician for the New York Giants, the New York Mets, and St. John's University, and head team physician for the Durham women's professional fast-pitch softball team. Speer has been listed in America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals and has received numerous awards and fellowships related to orthopedic research, publications, and education.
- PublisherHuman Kinetics Publishers
- Date of Publication01/02/2005
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationChampaign
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2005
- ImprintHuman Kinetics Publishers
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 136 black & white halftones
- Weight916 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byKevin P. Speer
- Interest AgeFrom 18 To 99
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.