All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs our nation faces a difficult and long recovery from a severe recession, this book provides the direction we need to regain our strength and rebuild our ecomy. The author emphasizes the need for partnerships and coordination among entrepreneurs, government and education to continue our leadership in technical invation.The author makes the critical case that our educational system must be revamped to focus on the STEM areas - science, techlogy, engineering and mathematics - in order to address the serious skills gap. The book identifies numerous excellent examples of linked learning that provide both the necessary academic and work related skills. In general the book brings together three vital elements that makes it a must-read: it clearly lays out the need for and challenges of invation;it offers insights about what must be done; then there is the most crucial element, optimism.The author explains why optimism must be the underlying attitude. The reader is thus t only educated, but also inspired to action, to both pursue invation and to help ensure an environment enabling invation to flourish in the U.S.
- Author BiographyTapan Munroe is a well-known author, speaker, consultant and advisor in economics. His expertise includes innovation economics, energy economics, regional economics and high-tech industry analysis.His current research and writings focus on the economics of innovation and the analysis of innovation regions such as Silicon Valley and High Tech San Diego. He serves as a lifetime member of the Board of Advisors of the Center for Pacific Rim Studies at the University of San Francisco; and a member of the University of California President's Board on Science and Innovation;and as a member of the board of The Institute of Entreprenuerial Leadership of JFK University.He has served as a trustee of the UC Merced Foundation, and as a director of the California State University Institute in Long Beach, California. He served as the ChiefEconomist for Pacific, Gas, and Electric Company for more than than a decade. He was a former President of the National Association of Business Economists, Bay Area Chapter; and is a former member of the National Petroleum Council Task Force on Oil Prices; former Quarterly Chair for the Commonwealth Club of California; and the former Chair of the Economics Committee of the Edison Electric Institute in Washington, D.C. He was a member of the board of directors of County Bank in Merced, California.He has also been a Member of the Advisory Board of City National Bank in San Francisco for nearly seven years. He holds a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Colorado, Boulder, where he was awarded the Colorado Fellowship and membership in honor societies-Phi Kappa Phi, and Omicron Delta Epsilon. He is also a graduateof the University of Chicago Executive Training Program, a Visiting Scholar at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and a Deutsche Akademischer Austausch Dienst fellowship at the University of Augsburg in West Germany. He has also served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of California, Berkeley and as a professor and chairman in the Economics Department at the University of the Pacific, Stockton, California. A widely published writer, Tapan has authored four books relating to Silicon Valley. He has been a columnist for the San Francisco Examiner and the Journal of Corporate Renewal. Between 1988 and 2011 he wrote a column for several Bay Area News Group papers including the Oakland Tribune, the Contra Costa Times and other Bay Area newspapers. He is also a commentator on radio and TV news programs
- Author(s)Tapan Munroe
- Date of Publication27/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byPH.
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.