CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $20.05
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.14
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
About this product
- DescriptionEverybody has heard of the Inquisition. It was an institution that pursued heretics, philandering priests and sexual deviants in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America for a period of over 350 years, changing its focus with the times and enduring stubbornly into the nineteenth century. Today the word implies dread, fear and a withheld threat of torture. But who were its targets? Why did it provoke such fear? How and where did it operate? Why was it founded, and why did it last for so long?Toby Green's incredible new book brings an extraordinary 350-year period vividly to life by focusing on the hitherto untold stories of individuals from all walks of life. Because the Inquisition touched every aspect of society, it changed the world: people attending church had to look suitably devout, or they might be deunced; a curse at a game of cards, thrown out in the heat of the moment, could bring an investigation; stripping fat from a leg of lamb was eugh to excite accusations of being a Jew. A secret police and a thought police, the Inquisition produced a permanent state of fear.This history, though filled with stories of terror and the unspeakable ways in which human beings can treat one ather, is also one of hope and ultimately of the resilience of the human spirit. Instead of being cowed by their fear, countless people rebelled in small and big ways, paving the way for a more inclusive society.The story of the Inquisition is t, then, one to be hidden and avoided; it deserves to be told in all its human richness and complexity.
- Author BiographyToby Green is the author of three previous books and his work has been translated into six languages. He has travelled widely in Africa and Latin America, and now lives with his wife and daughter in the West Country.
- Author(s)Toby Green
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication01/02/2008
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPan Books
- Out-of-print date01/11/2016
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Interest Age16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.