All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInside Austria is a gripping, in-depth personal report on postwar Austria's ecomic and social success story but also on its turbulent political history. How has this small land-locked country emerged as the European Union's fourth richest member state? Who are the Austrians, one of Europe's oldest people whose nation-state came into being only after the collapse of the Austro- Hungarian empire in 1918? To what extent have they come to terms with the demons of their recent past: Hitler's Anschluss, the Waldheim affair and then later Jorg Haider's disturbing radical right-wing ascendancy in Carinthia? This book is a unique study of the Austrian odyssey, based on a blend of academic research and half a century of personal observation by the Hungarian-born author who as a foreign correspondent and later as a political analyst obtained first-hand information from the politicians who played or are still playing a leading part in the march of events he has described.
- Author BiographyPAUL LENDVAI is a Hungarian-born Austrian journalist who worked as a correspondent for the Financial Times for more than two decades. His prize-winning memoir, Blacklisted: A Journalist's Life in Central Europe, boldly takes stock of the ethnic hatred, political turbulence, and murderous anti-Semitism of twentieth-century Central Europe.
- Author(s)Paul Lendvai
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication14/05/2010
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Weight442 g
- Width138 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated byMajor Ann
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.