All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring World War II, Walter Bernstein was a correspondent for the U.S. Army magazine Yank; after the war, he joined the Communist Party. When Senator Joseph McCarthy began his torious witch hunt for Communists in the late 1940s, Bernstein--a writer for film and television--found himself blacklisted. For a decade he would scrape a living together by selling scripts through front men. Jonathan Yardley of the Washington Post has called Inside Out a lovely piece of work ...a memoir of the blacklist that, without minimizing any of its offenses or forgiving any of its architects, finds humanity and humor in the period. The author vividly recalls an entertainment community torn between those who were willing and those who refused to deunce their friends, and he provides unforgettable glimpses of leading Hollywood figures such as Burt Lancaster, Elia Kazan, Bette Davis, and Zero Mostel. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer has hailed this as, simply, the best personal account of the era.
- Author BiographyWalter Bernstein, long a contributor to theNew Yorker, wrote the screenplays for The Molly Maguires, Fail Safe, Semi-Tough, and Yanks. His script for Woody Allen's comedy about the blacklist, The Front, received an Oscar nomination. He is an adjunct professor at Columbia University and lives in New York.
- Author(s)Walter Bernstein
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication14/04/2000
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDa Capo Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight397 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.