All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA New York Times bestseller A Library Journal Best Books of 2015 Pick A St. Louis Post-Dispatch Best Books of 2015 Pick A GoodReads Top Ten Fiction Book of 2015 A People Magazine Great Read From New York Times bestselling author and neuroscientist Lisa Geva comes a heartbreaking very human vel (Matthew Thomas, author of We Are Not Ourselves) that does for Huntington s disease what her debut vel Still Alice did for Alzheimer s. Joe O Brien is a forty-three-year-old police officer from the Irish Catholic neighborhood of Charlestown, Massachusetts. A devoted husband, proud father of four children in their twenties, and respected officer, Joe begins experiencing bouts of disorganized thinking, uncharacteristic temper outbursts, and strange, involuntary movements. He initially attributes these episodes to the stress of his job, but as these symptoms worsen, he agrees to see a neurologist and is handed a diagsis that will change his and his family s lives forever: Huntington s disease. Huntington s is a lethal neurodegenerative disease with treatment and cure, and each of Joe s four children has a 50 percent chance of inheriting their father s disease. While watching her potential future in her father s escalating symptoms, twenty-one-year-old daughter Katie struggles with the questions this test imposes on her young adult life. As Joe s symptoms worsen and he s eventually stripped of his badge and more, Joe struggles to maintain hope and a sense of purpose, while Katie and her siblings must find the courage to either live a life at risk or learn their fate. Praised for writing that explores the resilience of the human spirit (San Francisco Chronicle), Lisa Geva has once again delivered a vel as powerful and unforgettable as the human insights at its core.
- Author BiographyLisa Genova is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Love Anthony, Left Neglected, and Still Alice, which has been adapted into a film starring Julianne Moore.
- Author(s)Lisa Genova
- PublisherGallery Books
- Date of Publication05/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGallery Books
- Weight272 g
- Width135 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.43
- AU $51.53Trending at AU $60.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.27
- AU $22.01Trending at AU $22.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.