Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
About this product
- DescriptionInsight and Industry examines the careers of four major techlogies that have reshaped medicine by allowing new forms of insight into the human interior. Blume's studies of ultrasound, thermography, computerized tomography, and nuclear magnetic resonance reveal the many ways in which manufacturers, medical personnel, and patients affect both the form and the use of invative techlogies.Blume explores alternative models for analyzing the process of techlogical development and diffusion. He then uses the general model he has constructed to guide the four case studies, showing in particular how and why each new vision developed or did t develop an audience and support group. A concluding chapter builds on the four studies and examines the possibility of actively shaping the process of future techlogical development in medicine.Insight and Industry is valuable both as a straightforward comparative study of the four diagstic imaging techniques and as a significant contribution to the literature on techlogy and invation. Blume's interpretive framework allows us to explore important questions such as what factors are implicated in the process of the techlogization of medicine, why new techlogy in medicine so often seems to mean more rather than less expensive treatment, how techlogies become specific to certain applications, why we have some techlogies and t others, and how processes of techlogical invation in medicine may differ from those in other areas of social practices.Stuart S. Blume is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Science Dynamics at the University of Amsterdam.
- Author BiographyStuart S. Blume is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Science Dynamics at the University of Amsterdam.
- Author(s)Stuart S. Blume
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication13/12/1991
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Series TitleInside Technology
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.