All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Indian ecomy clearly seems to have followed a higher growth trajectory with over 9 per cent growth in GDP for the fiscal year 2006-07. Despite some improvements, the performance of agriculture sector, however, continues to be the cause of concern. The dream of inclusive growth cant be realised without revival of sagging agriculture sector. A number of challenges are being encountered in the sector. Some of these challenges are: increasing number of small and marginal farmers; increased competition due to globalisation process; reduced capital formation; poor infrastructure; and, decline of State support to agriculture. Thus, in present context governance and strengthening of institutional mechanisms to revive agriculture growth is of paramount need.The present book consisting of twelve essays, divided in four parts, critically examines issues and challenges of the agriculture sector and identifies ways to meet these challenges. The objective is primarily to initiate debate over governance of agriculture and identification of institutional mechanism to make small holders farm ecomy viable and globally competitive. The essays though varied in content and nature are unified in their emphasis on elements of sustainability, growth and equity, and examine role of public policies such as prices, input subsidies, research and development in current ecomic scenario and lays emphasis on identification of institutional mechanisms for the integration of small and marginal farmers in the larger ecomic development agenda.
- Author BiographyVishwa Ballabh is currently Reserve Bank of India Chair Professor at the Institute of Rural Management, Anand (Gujarat, India). Professor Ballabh graduated in Agriculture from Pant Nagar and holds a Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics from Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. He has been a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Inter-national Crop Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) and was a Visiting Scholar at the Indiana University, USA and a Visiting Scientist at the International Rice Research Institute, Philippines. He has over twenty years of teaching and research experience. His major area of research interest has been institutions and natural resource management. He is a member of several national and international professional societies in agricultural, natural resource economics and development fields.
- PublisherAcademic Foundation
- Date of Publication01/07/2007
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationGhaziabad
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintAcademic Foundation
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight576 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byVishwa Ballabh
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.