All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe rule of law is widely seen as the cornerstone of any effective polity and increasingly a vital component of the international political system. If the international rule of law were to be strengthened, it would greatly contribute to trade, security, human rights and global cooperation in a range of fields. Yet, in many areas the rule of law seems almost absent in international affairs. This book explores the institutions that support the effectiveness of the rule of law domestically. It focuses on the extent to which similar institutions already exist at international level and analyses the possibility of their further development. The authors speculate on how the international rule of law might be advanced in the future, thereby suggesting potential strategies for strengthening the international rule of law. Adopting an interdisciplinary approach and combining the fields of international relations, politics and law, this book covers a range institutions including: * UN Security Council * International Court of Justice * Human rights machinery * Regional human rights * International Criminal Court * World Trade Organization * International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea * UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations. It will be of strong interest to students and scholars of international relations, international organisations, global governance, international law, migration law, international peace and security law, applied ethics, political ecomy, political science and sociology.
- Author BiographyCharles Sampford is the Director of the Institute for Ethics, Governance and Law,Griffith University, Australia, a joint initiative with the United Nations University, Griffith, QUT, ANU, Jindal Global University and the Center for Asian Integrity in Manila. Ramesh Thakur is the Director of the Centre for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament (CNND) in the Crawford School, Australian National University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectInternational Law: Professional
- Series TitleChallenges of Globalisation
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byProfessor Charles Sampford,Ramesh Thakur
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.