All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the nature of intellectual activity in the Middle East, and what is its role in politics and society? While much scholarly attention has been given to the intelligentsia in the West, a comprehensive analysis of the social role of intellectuals in the Middle East has until w been lacking. This new book seeks to fill this gap, providing an overview of the role of influential thinkers in public life in the Middle East, and the impact they have had upon social, political and cultural spheres in the region. Covering a diverse range of key thinkers on the Middle East from Edward Said, Mohamed Arkoun and Halim Barakat to Abd al-Rahman al-Kawakibi and Abd al-Ghani al-Nabulusi, the book examines intellectuals' connections to social movements, 'street politics' and civil society, and democracy and its prospects in the region. This is an important new contribution to the literature on Middle Eastern societies and politics.
- Author BiographyMohammed A. Bamyeh is Professor of Sociology at the University of Pittsburgh, USA, and the editor of International Sociology Review of Books. He specializes in the study of social movements and revolutions, the comparative history of ideas and global sociology.
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/07/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight408 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMohammed A. Bamyeh
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.