All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is about categorization processes in native/n-native workplace interaction, within the context of internship interviews between Danish employers and second language speakers who were born abroad. In this volume, which is one of the first books on gatekeeping, Tranekjaer seeks to address processes of power and ideology from a conversation analytical perspective. The book examines the challenges that n-native internship candidates face in processes of employment when employers and job-counsellors seek to conceptualize, categorize and address the candidates' linguistic, ethnic and religious otherness. The book shows how processes of categorization are influenced by broader structures of ideology related to social issues of controversy and debate such as migration, integration and second-language learning. The book also includes an overview of previous gatekeeping studies and proposes a redefinition of the term, which suggests a broader meaning and relevance of the tion.
- Author BiographyLouise Tranekjaer is Associate Professor in the Department of Culture and Identity at Roskilde University, Denmark. Her research interests include institutional interaction, membership categorization analysis, identity, processes of inclusion and exclusion and discourse analysis.
- Author(s)Louise Tranekjaer
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication06/05/2015
- Series TitleLanguage, Mobility and Institutions
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight504 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.