All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInterdependency and Care over the Lifecourse draws upon theories of time and space to consider how informal care is woven into the fabric of everyday lives and is shaped by social and ecomic inequalities and opportunities. The book comprises three parts. The first explores contrasting social and ecomic contexts of informal care in different parts of the world. The second looks at different themes and dynamics of caring, using fictional vignettes of illness and health, child care, elderly care and communities of care. The book examines the significance to practices of care throughout the lifecourse of: * understandings and expectations of care * emotional exchanges involved in care * memories and anticipations of giving and receiving care * the social nature of the spaces and places in which care is carried out * the practical time-space scheduling necessary to caring activities. Finally the authors critically examine how the frameworks of caringscapes and carescapes might be used in research, policy and practice. A working example is provided. This book will be of interest to students and researchers of care work, health and social care, geography, sociology of the family and social policy as well as those in business and policy communities trying to gain an understanding of how work and informal care interweave.
- Author BiographySophia Bowlby is Senior Lecturer in Human Geography at the University of Reading, UK. Linda McKie is Research Professor in Sociology at Glasgow Caledonian University and Associate Director at the Centre for Research on Families and Relationships at the University of Edinburgh, UK. Susan Gregory was Research Fellow at the Research Unit in Health, Behaviour and Change and, following her recent retirement, is an Honorary Fellow in Public Health Sciences, both at the University of Edinburgh, UK. Isobel MacPherson runs her own business, Community Health Research and Evaluation, and was previously a Senior Research Fellow at Glasgow Caledonian University, UK.
- Author(s)Isobel MacPherson,Linda McKie,Sophia Bowlby,Susan Gregory
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/01/2010
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleRelationships and Resources
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.