All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInterferon was first discovered in 1957. Over the last five years it has become almost a household word. Many believe it to be a drug with already proven efficacy against cancer and viral infection. The media has distorted any cool scientific view of the data available. We have learned much about the complexity of the interferon system. We kw some of the switches involved in interferon gene expression and its secretion by virally and immune stimulated cells. We also kw that it binds to a cell surface receptor, mediating its complex effects on target cells by a series of second messengers. The advent of the new techniques of modern molecular biology, such as moclonal antibodies and gene cloning, has had tremendous impact on the rate of acquisition of kwledge. Such techniques have provided us with almost unlimited quantities of highly purified interferon for clinical trial in patients with a spectrum of infectious and malignant diseases. The information we have gathered raises many more questions. Why should there be several families of interferon genes? What is their true physiolo- gical role? How are they interrelated functionally? Interferon is clearly a cellular hormone providing a means of communication between cells. ~fhether it has clinical value in the management of patients with diseased cells remains to be seen. This book sum- marises our current kwledge of interferons as possible an- cancer agents. It is clear interferon is penicillin for cancer.
- Author(s)Karol Sikora
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication16/02/2012
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight434 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.