Intermediate Algebra: Functions & Authentic Applications Plus New MyMathLab w/ Pearson eText-- Access Card Package by Jay Lehmann (Mixed media product, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $352.00+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $266.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionUsing authentic data to make math meaningful to students, Jay Lehmann's algebra series uses a curve-fitting approach to model compelling, real-world situations, while answering the perennial question But what is this good for? Beginning with interesting data sets, students are asked to find models and derive equations to fit a scenario, helping them to understand functions graphically, numerically, and symbolically. Updated exercises, labs, and graphs deepen students' understanding of core concepts and keeps them motivated to learn. ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are t transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products. Packages Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may t be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase. Used or rental books If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code. Access codes Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase. -- 0321927907 / 9780321927903 Intermediate Algebra: Functions & Authentic Applications Plus MyMathLab Access Card Package consists of: 0321431308 / 9780321431301 MyMathLab -- Glue-in Access Card 0321654064 / 9780321654069 MyMathLab Inside Star Sticker 0321868196 / 9780321868190 Intermediate Algebra: Functions & Authentic Applications
- Author BiographyFor more than twenty years, Jay Lehmann has taught at College of San Mateo, where he has received the Shiny Apple Award for excellence in teaching. He has worked on a NSF-funded grant to study classroom assessment and has performed research on collaborative directed-discovery learning. Jay has served as the newsletter editor for CMC3 (California Mathematics Council, Community College) for twelve years. He has presented at more than seventy-five conferences, including AMATYC, ICTCM, and T3, where he has discussed curve fitting and sung his Number Guy song. Jay plays in a rock band called The Procrastinistas, who play at various clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area, where Jay, his wife Keri, and son Dylan reside. He plays a number of instruments including bass, guitar, piano, violin, and baritone. In addition to his elementary, intermediate, and combined algebra textbooks, Jay is currently writing a heist novel for high school students, which he hopes will be published before Dylan outgrows it. Dylan, a devoted drummer and artist, drafted many of the cartoons that are included in Jay's textbooks. In the words of the author: Before writing my algebra series, it was painfully apparent that my students couldn't relate to the applications in the course. I was plagued with the question, What is this good for? To try to bridge that gap, I wrote some labs, which facilitated my students in collecting data, finding models via curve fitting, and using the models to make estimates and predictions. My students really loved working with the current, compelling, and authentic data and experiencing how mathematics truly is useful. My students' response was so strong that I decided to write an algebra series. Little did I know that to realize this goal, I would need to embark on a 15-year challenging journey, but the rewards of hearing such excitement from students and faculty across the country has made it all worthwhile! I'm proud to have played even a small role in raising peoples' respect and enthusiasm for mathematics. have tried to honor my inspiration: by working with authentic data, students can experience the power of mathematics. A random-sample study at my college suggests that I am achieving this goal. The study concludes that students who used my series were more likely to feel that mathematics would be useful in their lives (P-value 0.0061) as well as their careers (P-value 0.024). The series is excellent preparation for subsequent courses; in particular, because of the curve fitting and emphasis on interpreting the contextual meaning of parameters, it is an ideal primer for statistics. In addition to curve fitting, my approach includes other types of meaningful modeling, directed-discovery explorations, conceptual questions, and of course, a large bank of skill problems. The curve-fitting applications serve as a portal for students to see the usefulness of mathematics so that they become fully engaged in the class. Once involved, they are more receptive to all aspects of the course.
- Author(s)Jay Lehmann
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication12/01/2014
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight1701 g
- Width224 mm
- Height282 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Contained items statementContains Hardback and Online resource
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.