All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPublic ecomics studies how government taxing and spending activities affect the ecomy -- ecomic efficiency and the distribution of income and wealth. This comprehensive text on public ecomics covers the core topics of market failure and taxation as well as recent developments in both policy and the academic literature. It is unique t only in its broad scope but in its balance between public finance and public choice and its combination of theory and relevant empirical evidence. The book covers the theory and methodology of public ecomics; presents a historical and theoretical overview of the public sector; and discusses such topics as departures from efficiency (including imperfect competition and asymmetric information), issues in political ecomy, equity, taxation, fiscal federalism, and tax competition among independent jurisdictions. Suggestions for further reading, from classic papers to recent research, appear in each chapter, as do exercises. The mathematics has been kept to a minimum without sacrificing intellectual rigor; the book remains analytical rather than discursive. This second edition has been thoroughly updated throughout. It offers new chapters on behavioral ecomics, limits to redistribution, international taxation, cost-benefit analysis, and the ecomics of climate policy. Additional exercises have been added and many sections revised in response to advice from readers of the first edition.
- Author BiographyJean Hindriks is Professor in the Economics Department and Codirector of the Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) at the Universite Catholique de Louvain. Gareth D. Myles is Head of Department and Professor of Economics at the University of Exeter and a Research Fellow at the Institute for Fiscal Studies. He is the author of Public Economics.
- Author(s)Gareth D. Myles,Jean Hindriks
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication10/05/2013
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note214 b&w illus.
- Weight1779 g
- Width203 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.