All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLearning to speak Chinese requires many hours of practice--there's just way around it! But by using this one-of-a-kind practice guide, together with whatever Chinese language-learning book or program you're using, you can dramatically improve your ability to speak and comprehend Mandarin Chinese. This book presents a wealth of tested and proven practice activities--including approximately 16 hours of audio recordings and over 200 pages of drills and exercises--to help you polish your spoken Chinese to a solid intermediate level. It can be used successfully with any intermediate-level Chinese language learning book, such as Intermediate Spoken Chinese, and enables you to easily move from beginning to intermediate level proficiency in the language. Intermediate Spoken Chinese Practice Essentials includes hundreds of activities that have been carefully designed to perfect and reinforce each aspect of your Chinese speaking and comprehension ability:
- Pronunciation exercises.
- Vocabulary and grammar summaries.
- Substitution drills.
- Transformation and response drills.
- Role play and listening comprehension exercises.
- Dictation exercises.
- Translation exercises.
- 16 hours of audio by native Mandarin speakers.
- Printable practice pages.
- Printable exercises and activities.
- Author BiographyCornelius C. Kubler, Stanfield Professor of Asian Studies at Williams College, received his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in linguistics from Cornell University. He earned a second M.A. in Chinese literature from National Taiwan University. From 1980-1991 he was employed at the Foreign Service Institute, U.S. Department of State, where he served as Language Training Supervisor in Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, and Mongolian; as Principal of the advanced Chinese field school in Taiwan; and as Chair of the Department of Asian and African Languages. Since joining Williams College in 1991, he has chaired the former Department of Chinese and Asian Studies Program as well as the Department of Asian Studies, which he was instrumental in founding. He has also served as visiting professor at Eisenhower College, Portland State University, Middlebury College, National Taiwan Normal University, Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages. Kubler, who is author or coauthor of 20 books and over 50 articles on Chinese language pedagogy and linguistics, frequently serves as reviewer or consultant for Chinese and Asian Studies programs in the U.S. and overseas. He has served as Chair of the Test Development Committee for the SAT Subject Test in Chinese and as member of the Executive Committee of the Association of Departments of Foreign Languages of the Modern Language Association. He is currently serving as American Co-Director of The Johns Hopkins University-Nanjing University Center for Chinese and American Studies in Nanjing, China. Yang Wang, native to Beijing, is Senior Lecturer in Chinese at Brown University, where she teaches all levels of modern Chinese language. Before joining the Brown faculty, she taught Chinese at The Ohio State University and Williams College. She also taught for several years at the Middlebury College Summer Chinese School. Wang is interested in the implications of pragmatics in Chinese pedagogical practice, teaching materials development, and the integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Author(s)Cornelius C. Kubler,Yang Wang
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication16/10/2013
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectLanguage Learning: Self Study
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Note100 Black and White Illustrations and Photographs; Perforated and 3-Hole Drilled
- Weight726 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-I
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.