All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLearning to read and write Chinese requires lots of practice. This unique practice guide can be used with any Chinese textbook or on its own to enhance your proficiency in reading and writing Mandarin Chinese.Intermediate Written Chinese Practice Essentials offers a wealth of carefully-designed exercises and activities to help you develop every aspect of your reading and writing ability.
- This workbook has been designed so it can be used either in a class with an instructor or by independent learners working on their own.
- Both simplified and traditional characters are taught and practiced in the same volume. This means students can learn either or both kinds of characters without having to purchase ather book, and instructors have the flexibility to teach a combined class where some students read and write one type of characters and other students the other type.
- This workbook provides character practice sheets for the 336 characters introduced in Intermediate Written Chinese, with complete information on stroke order and direction for both the simplified and traditional forms of the characters.
- Reading and writing exercises are included, such as those involving dictation and the answering of questions based on the content of each lesson.
- English-Chinese translation exercises are provided for each unit.
- Native-speaker audio recordings for dictation practice.
- Printable flash cards for all the new characters and words, with Chinese characters on one side and Pinyin and English on the other.
- Printable pdf files with additional exercises and activities.
- Author BiographyCornelius C. Kubler, Stanfield Professor of Asian Studies at Williams College, received his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in linguistics from Cornell University. He earned a second M.A. in Chinese literature from National Taiwan University. From 1980-1991 he was employed at the Foreign Service Institute, U.S. Department of State, where he served as Language Training Supervisor in Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, and Mongolian; as Principal of the advanced Chinese field school in Taiwan; and as Chair of the Department of Asian and African Languages. Since joining Williams College in 1991, he has chaired the former Department of Chinese and Asian Studies Program as well as the Department of Asian Studies, which he was instrumental in founding. He has also served as visiting professor at Eisenhower College, Portland State University, Middlebury College, National Taiwan Normal University, Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages. Kubler, who is author or coauthor of 20 books and over 50 articles on Chinese language pedagogy and linguistics, frequently serves as reviewer or consultant for Chinese and Asian Studies programs in the U.S. and overseas. He has served as Chair of the Test Development Committee for the SAT Subject Test in Chinese and as member of the Executive Committee of the Association of Departments of Foreign Languages of the Modern Language Association. He is currently serving as American Co-Director of The Johns Hopkins University-Nanjing University Center for Chinese and American Studies in Nanjing, China. Jerling Guo Kubler is a graduate of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures of Soochow University, Taipei. Her experience in language education spans more than 35 years. She has taught all levels of Chinese as a Second/Foreign Language from pre-kindergarten to university level at institutions including Williams College, Eisenhower College and Taipei Language Institute.
- Author(s)Cornelius C. Kubler
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication26/01/2016
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Note100 black and white illustrations and photographs
- Weight635 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-ROM
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.