All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of conceptual change traces its heritage to the tions of paradigm (networks of shared beliefs, concepts, practices) and paradigm shift made famous by Thomas Kuhn in his book, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Kuhn's work was quickly linked to developmental psychology (how kwledge develops) and to science education (teaching big, new ideas). This book is the first comprehensive review of the conceptual change movement and of the impressive research it has spawned on how kwledge develops and can be taught in different content areas. Because of its interdisciplinary focus chapter authors were instructed to write in a manner comprehensible to researchers and students from different fields. The International Handbook of Research on Conceptual Change consists of twenty-seven chapters that clarify the nature of conceptual change research, describes its most important findings and demonstrates their importance for education. It is organized into six sections that include detailed discussions of key theoretical and methodological issues, the roots of conceptual change research in the philosophy and history of science, mechanisms of conceptual change, and learner characteristics. It also contains chapters that describe conceptual change research in the content areas such as physics, astromy, biology, medicine and health, and history. A particular focus is given to students' difficulties in learning more advanced and counter-intuitive concepts.
- Author BiographyStella Vosniadou is Professor of Cognitive Psychology in the Department of Philosophy and History of Science at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She is the current chair of the interdisciplinary graduate program in Cognitive Science between the University of Athens and the Economic University of Athens, and director of the Cognitive Science Laboratory at the University of Athens. Professor Vosniadou has served as a president of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) and organizer and chair of the 1997 EARLI conference in Athens, Greece.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication18/08/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleEducational Psychology Handbook
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRoutledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
- Content Note38 black & white tables
- Weight1474 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byStella Vosniadou
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.