All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the companion to Difference and Disavowal: The Trauma of Eros (Stanford University Press, 2000), which dealt with the psychoanalytic clinical problem of resistance to interpretation. The key to this resistance is the unconscious registration and repudiation (disavowal) of the reality of difference. The surprising generality of this resistance intersects with Nietzsche's, Heidegger's, and Derrida's understanding of how and why difference is in general the unthought of metaphysics. All three see metaphysics engaged with a registration and repudiation of difference, and all three rethink interpretation in relation to this question. The synthesis of these theories of interpretation and difference provides the philosophical foundations for a new thinking of how interpretation functions, and is a critical intersection of deconstruction and psychoanalysis.
- Author BiographyAlan Bass is a practicing psychoanalyst in New York City. He is author of Difference and Disavowal: The Trauma of Eros (Stanford University Press, 2000), and the translator of Jacques Derrida's Writing and Difference (1980), Positions (1982), Margins: Of Philosophy (1984), and The Post Card (1987).
- Author(s)Alan Bass
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication13/10/2006
- Series TitleMeridian: Crossing Aesthetics
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Weight295 g
- Width161 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.63
- AU $21.61Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.