All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInterpreting Everyday Culture is the first book comprehensively to introduce first and second year University students to cultural studies approaches to everyday life. It is a lively, accessible textbook that prompts its readers to take a fresh, critical look at the familiar yet strangely intriguing terrain of daily life in modern, industrialized societies. The book introduces the student of cultural studies to a range of key theoretical concepts in the discipline through simple, cogent explanations illustrated with a variety of engaging examples. These range from discussions of graffiti, bodybuilding and fashion to analysis of cultures of the city, the suburb, and the domestic home and daily practices like eating, shopping, and getting around. The book raises a series of thought-provoking questions, including: * How do we make meaning and find pleasure through the everyday preparation and consumption of food? * What is lifestyle, exactly, and when and why was it invented? * How are our personal identities tied up with our work activities and environments? * How do quotidian techlogies such as the telephone shape our daily lives? * How does commodity culture impact on our understanding of who we are and how should we understand the complex relationships between our selves and the products we consume? Contemporary Culture and Everyday Life is written with the level of its readership specifically in mind. Emphasis is on clarity and conciseness of explanations; as many relevant, illustrative examples as possible; and regular questions and exercises to stimulate students to actively apply the theory to their own experience.
- Author BiographyFran Martin is Lecturer at the Department of English with Cultural Studies, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Author(s)Fran Martin
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication26/12/2003
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder Arnold
- Content Noteglossary
- Weight414 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.